Temple of Castor and Pollux (Dioscuri)
Agrigento’s Valley of the Temples
It is regarded as the symbol of Agrigento.
The high platform, mounted on three steps, measured m. 34,12 in length and 15,86 in width, little less than a double square. It occupied a surface of 541,143 square metres.. Only four columns, out of 34, stand out among its ruins. On the corner ashlar there is a beautiful rosette. The building was, in 1836, cleared of all the rubble and the earth that for many centuries had covered it. The archeologists Villareale and Cavallari, for order of the Duke of Serradifalco, unearthed the columns and re- erected three of them on three steps. A fourth one was added in 1856.
Excerpts from the guidebook “Agrigento – The Valley of the Temple and the Regional Museum” by Giuseppe Di Giovanni, a companion to most of the visitors of the Valley of The Temples.